Norsvold (KR/EU: Nosra) was a large island located in the southwest of Asmodae. This land housed one of the two remaining bases of the destroyed Tower of Eternity, the Tower of Darkness. It was introduced in the 5.0 update to act as the main area for Asmodian Archdaeva players between levels 66 to 75. Players needed to have completed the Archdaeva Ascension to be able to enter Norsvold.
In the 6.0 update Norsvold was removed from the game, following the cancellation of the Archdaeva system. Enshar has since taken over Norsvold's role.
Lay of the LandEdit
If Iluma identifies itself through adherence to one theme, Norsvold derives its identity from having a multitude of them and the contrasts this creates. The map is rich in colors and life while at the same time maintaining that dark aspect which defines the Asmodian race, giving the map a very idyllic, almost dream-like atmosphere. Add up the numerous ruins and other secrets to be found here, and Norsvold indeed becomes a map where the beautiful, vibrant past is pitted against the barren, hostile reality of the present.
The main player hub is Azphel's Sanctuary, located near the center of the map. The direct vicinity contains monsters between levels 66-68, as well as the entrances to the basic instances. The rest of the map can be divided up into various 'districts', with each district containing monsters of specific level ranges. While the lower level areas are fairly easy to navigate, players will find that traversing the more remote areas becomes increasingly difficult.
Different from preceding maps is that leveling in Norsvold was grind-based. Starting at level 66, players could take hourly, daily, and weekly repeatable quests for the various areas on the map and complete these until they were (eventually) level 75. Due to the low experience these quests offer, however, many players instead opted for alternative, more efficient methods for leveling up: examples included doing the Fissure of Oblivion, clearing the Upper Abyss Barracks or group instances found on this map as well as inside the Tower of Eternity solo or duo, or grinding monsters in one of the map's elite areas with a group.
A flight transport line was available from Azphel's Sanctuary, and would bring players to either of the four smaller outposts located in the Cardinal Directions. Once there players would need to walk or take a windstream to reach the desired location.
PvP was available anywhere within Norsvold, and anytime. There were no neutral zones (like in Katalam) or gates (like in Enshar), offering little protection against incursions from the opposing race. The five major outposts and instance entrances had garrisons or guards protecting them, and a few stray (concealed) guards might be found throughout the map as well.
Elyos players could enter Norsvold via a number of rifts that randomly appeared in Iluma every hour. The max capacity of these rifts, as well as the duration during which they will be active, varied.
Crafting & Gear Edit
All monsters in Norsvold had a chance to drop Archdaeva-related items, ranging from crafting/morphing materials to manastones and even basic Archdaeva gear, although the drop rates for said gear was greatly nerfed shortly after release. Additional gear and manastones could be acquired from the local instances.
Norsvold also had with an unique skin set associated with it. This set could be crafted by completing [Spy] quests in Iluma, and combining the acquired tokens with the recipes sold by the Shugo merchants at the four excavation sites.
Dynamic Content Edit
- Transportation: Windstreams and free-flight zones are available for different areas of the map based on the in-game time of the day.
- Boss Monsters: Norsvold has a number of Primordial boss monsters that can be slain with a group to advance related quests. Other boss monsters will also appear in specific areas during daytime or nighttime, and can be slain for quests that award basic Archdaeva gear and experience.
- Portals: The appearances of rifts and access points to the Tower of Eternity are largely randomized. Portals to the Tower of Eternity may appear in the main base or any of the four excavation sites located around it.
- New phenomena such as geysers and aethershrouds may appear in the landscape and provide buffs to your character if you interacted with them. The effects range from faster casting or enhanced attack to brief invisibility.
Solo Instances Edit
- Fissure of Oblivion [66+]
Group Instances Edit
- Adma's Fall [66+]
- Theobomos Test Chamber [66+]
- Drakenseer's Lair [69+]
- Fallen Poeta [72+]
- Gogorunerk's Gauntlet [51+] (Events)
"The hallowed grounds around the twin bases of the Tower of Eternity have awakened from their long slumber. Beasts not seen for a thousand years once again stir, and life in the days of the Cataclysm resumes. For the Asmodians, Norsvold is a bitter reminder of a more complacent time, and the destruction that the Elyos invited by agreeing to peace with the Balaur. And yet, there is wonder yet to be found here, and ancient secrets long forgotten - for those daring enough to venture forth."
-Official description from the 5.0 patchnotes
- It is one of the few areas in the game (besides Oriel/Pernon and Iluma) where the environment is affected by weather and seasonal changes.
- "Norsvold" can be loosely translated from German as "forest of the north", possibly referring to its abundance in vegetation and its location from the Tower of Eternity.